Recipe by Sackville
This is the perfect recipe to whip together if you have friends coming over for tea. It's very easy to make and lovely served with fresh fruit. There are any number of variations you could try with this recipe, including adding 1/2 cup raisins or a little bit of cinnamon to the dough.
Top Review by Tracie K
So easy to make. I was looking for an easy scone recipe to make to have with tea/coffe and this was it. I added a little bit more sugar to make them sweeter. Next time I will add cinnamon.
- 2 1⁄4 cups self-raising flour, plus
- 3 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, and
- 1 tablespoon milk, beaten together
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 425 F or 220 degrees C.
- In a bowl, mix the flour and salt together.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until no lumps are left and the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and baking powder.
- Add the milk a little at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture begins to stick together.
- Using one hand, pull the mixture together into a ball and plop onto a floured surface.
- Knead lightly to form a smooth ball.
- Place on a plate and let the dough rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Roll out onto a floured surface until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a round cookie cutter or a drinking glass, dipped in flour, to cut the dough into circles 2-1/2 to 3 inches across.
- When you lift the cutter from the dough, be careful not to twist it!
- This is important.
- If you twist, you will twist the gluten in the dough and make it hard for the scones to rise straight up when they are baking.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Be careful only to brush the top, don't let the wash drip down the sides of the scones.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until golden and well risen.
- Remove to a cooling tray.
- Serve warm with butter or cool, topped with fresh strawberries for a special summer treat.