1/1 Photo of Basic Scones
This is the perfect recipe to whip together if you have friends coming over for tea. It's very easy to make and lovely served with fresh fruit. There are any number of variations you could try with this recipe, including adding 1/2 cup raisins or a little bit of cinnamon to the dough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 425 F or 220 degrees C.
- 2In a bowl, mix the flour and salt together.
- 3Rub in the butter with your fingertips until no lumps are left and the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- 4Stir in the sugar and baking powder.
- 5Add the milk a little at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture begins to stick together.
- 6Using one hand, pull the mixture together into a ball and plop onto a floured surface.
- 7Knead lightly to form a smooth ball.
- 8Place on a plate and let the dough rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- 9Roll out onto a floured surface until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
- 10Use a round cookie cutter or a drinking glass, dipped in flour, to cut the dough into circles 2-1/2 to 3 inches across.
- 11When you lift the cutter from the dough, be careful not to twist it!
- 12This is important.
- 13If you twist, you will twist the gluten in the dough and make it hard for the scones to rise straight up when they are baking.
- 14Place the scones on a baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- 15Be careful only to brush the top, don't let the wash drip down the sides of the scones.
- 16Bake for about 10 minutes until golden and well risen.
- 17Remove to a cooling tray.
- 18Serve warm with butter or cool, topped with fresh strawberries for a special summer treat.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Scones
Serving Size: 1 (778 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.1
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 40.9 mg
- Sodium 632.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 3.8 g