Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
From A Taste of Italy (1996) by The American Cooking Guild: "Peppers came to Italy from the New World. The special flavor of roasted peppers, especially ripe sweet red ones, will enhance your sauces, salads, or pasta dishes. Enjoy them on slices of grilled garlic bread. Peppers roasted over a hardwood charcoal fire lend a smoky nuance to your favorite dishes." Cook and prep times are approximate.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place peppers on a foil-lined broiler pan; place under hot broiler. Watch carefully, turning continually as the surfaces begin to char and blister.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Wrap foil securely around the peppers or seal inside a heavy brown paper bag. Steam from the hot peppers helps release the skin from the pulp. Cool.
- When cool, remove skins, stems, and seeds.
- Place peppers in a jar and top with olive oil.
- Refrigerate; eat within 10 days.
- Freeze for longer storage.