Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
I use this recipe when I plan on using the meat for soups, tacos, salads, etc. Great to use the carcass to make stock afterwards.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Allow chicken to come to room temperature.
- Rinse chicken inside and out, removing giblets (set aside for stock later).
- Pat dry with paper towels, tie wing tips together with twine.
- Layer onions in the bottom of shallow roasting pan.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper inside and out.
- Stuff lemon and garlic inside the cavity.
- Massage canola oil or butter on top of chicken.
- Roast in middle rack of oven 75-90 mins, until golden brown and internal temp is 180 or above.
- Let rest for 30 mins before cutting into.
- Shred meat with 2 forks and set aside.