Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I use this recipe when I plan on using the meat for soups, tacos, salads, etc. Great to use the carcass to make stock afterwards.
- 1 (4 -6 lb) whole free-range chicken
- 1 small lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil or 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 1 yellow onion, sliced (medium)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Allow chicken to come to room temperature.
- Rinse chicken inside and out, removing giblets (set aside for stock later).
- Pat dry with paper towels, tie wing tips together with twine.
- Layer onions in the bottom of shallow roasting pan.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper inside and out.
- Stuff lemon and garlic inside the cavity.
- Massage canola oil or butter on top of chicken.
- Roast in middle rack of oven 75-90 mins, until golden brown and internal temp is 180 or above.
- Let rest for 30 mins before cutting into.
- Shred meat with 2 forks and set aside.
Wonderful, basic, but truly delish roast chicken recipe. Love the onions on the bottom of the pan, and the garlic and lemon inside the cavity. I covered the breast area the last 20 minutes of roasting. Thank you so much for your recipe! Made for PAC - 2014