1/1 Photo of Basic Roast Chicken
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is a simple, easy recipe for roasting a whole chicken. It pretty much guarantees crisp salty skin, and properly cooked white AND dark meat at the same time. [This is from The Naked Chef (Jamie Oliver).]
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place your roasting pan in the oven, and preheat to 425 degrees.
- 2Wash the chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat it as dry as possible with paper towels.
- 3With a sharp knife, make 3 or 4 slashes across each of the thighs.
- 4Rub the entire chicken, including the interior cavity, with olive oil, and then with salt and pepper.
- 5Carefully separate the skin of the breast from the meat, and work some olive oil, salt, and pepper into the gaps with your hand.
- 6Tuck the wings up under the back of the chicken. Cross the legs, and tie it up as tightly as possible with kitchen twine.
- 7Pull the hot tray out of the oven, and place the chicken on it breast side down. Return to the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
- 8Turn the chicken over onto the other breast, and cook another 5 minutes.
- 9Turn the chicken on it's back, and cook for 1 hour.
- 10Let it rest for 5 - 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.9
- Calories from Fat 470
- Total Fat 52.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 240.6 mg
- Sodium 224.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 56.5 g