Recipe by dividend
This is a simple, easy recipe for roasting a whole chicken. It pretty much guarantees crisp salty skin, and properly cooked white AND dark meat at the same time. [This is from The Naked Chef (Jamie Oliver).]
- 4 1⁄2 lbs whole chickens, without giblets
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place your roasting pan in the oven, and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Wash the chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat it as dry as possible with paper towels.
- With a sharp knife, make 3 or 4 slashes across each of the thighs.
- Rub the entire chicken, including the interior cavity, with olive oil, and then with salt and pepper.
- Carefully separate the skin of the breast from the meat, and work some olive oil, salt, and pepper into the gaps with your hand.
- Tuck the wings up under the back of the chicken. Cross the legs, and tie it up as tightly as possible with kitchen twine.
- Pull the hot tray out of the oven, and place the chicken on it breast side down. Return to the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over onto the other breast, and cook another 5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken on it's back, and cook for 1 hour.
- Let it rest for 5 - 10 minutes before serving.