To make a fragrant, creamy risotto is not difficult, but it requires time and stirring, patience and stirring, and some more patience and stirring! Once the basic risotto is mastered, it's easy to add more ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes.
- 4Add about 100 ml stock or water and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- 5Continue adding liquid, 100 ml at a time and stirring constantly, until the rice is tender and has a creamy consistency, about 25 minutes.
- 6Turn off the heat and stir in the butter and cheese.
- 7Leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- 8VARIATIONS: Mushroom Risotto- Melt 50 g butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- 9Add 225 g sliced white mushrooms and sauté until they brown and the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.
- 10Stir into the rice at the end of cooking.
- 11Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese (but no more butter).
- 12Leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- 13Pumpkin Risotto- Add 250g raw, diced pumpkin and a pinch of chopped fresh basil to the onions when you fry them.
- 14Continue with the recipe as above.
- 15•Zucchini Risotto--Sauté 225g sliced zucchini in a separate saucepan.
- 16Add to the rice at the end of cooking.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.7
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 69.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: