Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from Judy Johnson and is from the cookbook "Extraordinary Cuisine for Sea & Shore". I choose chicken or beef broth depending on what I am serving this with. Occasionally I'll add in some asparagus tips or grated carrot to give it some color....feel free to add what you'd like.
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup arborio rice, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup chablis
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 4 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- additional parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Saute the onion in melted butter in a large saucepan until tender. Add rice, Chablis, parsley flakes, basil, paprika and onion powder. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup broth, stirring constantly, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until the mixture is creamy and the rice is tender.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
Made for a great side dish for dinner tonight. Made this with the following options.. used beef broth, that's what I had on hand, left out the onion powder, and left out the salt. Well seasoned as for the 4 of us, it was just enough. A great go to weeknight dinner Made for 1-2-3 hits.
Yummy! I used chicken broth and added garlic. Garlic is a must in our house. I have not yet mastered the creaminess of risotto yet but will get there. I love this b/c all of the ingredients are a staple in my house.
Very flavorful risotto!!! I made 1/2 of the recipe and followed as written. I think adding the wine really made a difference with the flavor and think that lemon juice, as the other reviewer suggested, would also be good with or without the wine. I served this with a grilled chicken breast. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Photo Tag Game.