Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love simple risotto, but this recipe is very versatile - make it your own by adding your favourite veggies and seasonings. If you prefer not to add wine, replace it with chicken stock. This was an "Urban Peasant" favourite of mine, starting in my university days. You really do need to stir this constantly, or almost constantly, so serve it as a side dish with something that requires little attention!
- Melt butter and oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic until transparent.
- Add arborio rice and stir until each grain has absorbed the butter and oil.
- When golden brown, slowly start adding the stock and wine, about 1/4 cup at a time. Continue adding liquid while stirring constantly until risotto is smooth and creamy but each grain of rice is still separate, about 30 minutes or so.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, stir in the grated carrot and 1 tbsp chopped parsley.
- Serve garnished with parmesan cheese and remaining chopped parsley.