Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love risotto and this is the recipe that I always use. This is the base recipe for risotto, from the "Risotto" cookbook by Judith Barrett and Norma Wasserman. Cheese, herbs, cooked vegetables, etc. (the condimenti) is added at the end after the basic recipe is complete.
- 5 cups chicken broth, 1/4 cup reserved
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup finely minced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- herbs or cheese or vegetables
- Brodo: Bring the broth to a steady simmer in a saucepan.
- Soffritto: Heat the butter and oil in a heavy 4 quart pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 1 to 2 minutes until it begins to soften. Do not brown the onion.
- Riso: Add the rice to the soffritto using a wooden spoon and stir for 1 minute, making sure the grains are well coated. Begin to add the Brodo, starting with the 1/2 cup of wine and then adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time. Stir frequently and wait until each addition is almost completely absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup.
- Condimenti: After about 20 minutes, when the rice is tender but still firm, add the reserved broth and the condimenti. Stir until the cheese is melted, herbs are combined, etc.
- Serve immediately.
- Condimenti suggestions are Goat Cheese (4 oz)and Parsley (1/4 cup); Crab meat (8 oz), Goat Cheese (4 oz), and Basil (2 Tbs dried); Spinach (1 10 oz box thawed and drained) and Parmesean (1/3 cup).