This risotto turned out wonderfully even the very first time I prepared it, with rice grains cooked al denté yet surrounded by delicious creaminess. A great comfort food from The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook (2000)
- Place broth on back burner within easy reach; bring to and keep broth at a low simmer.
- Over medium-high heat, sauté onion in olive oil in large Dutch-oven for 3 minutes; add rice and continue sautéing for another minute.
- Add hot broth to rice a half-cup at a time; stirring and allowing rice to absorb broth before each next addition of broth ~ There will be 20 or so total half-cup additions.
- Continue adding broth a half-cup at a time, and stirring, until the rice is creamy with its grains cooked "firm to the tooth" (not mushy or soupy) and broth is absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cheese; serve.
- NOTE: You do not have to use all 6 cups broth ~ Last time I made this risotto it required only 5 1/8 cups broth.