Recipe by Julesong
An old fashioned sweet dough recipe for coffee cakes, coffee bread, babka, buns, kolacky, rolls, and so on. Prepare 24 hours ahead of time. This rich dough needs the chilling and long rest period to produce a wonderful versatile dough. You may halve the recipe if you wish.
- 1⁄2 lb butter (2 sticks)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 -8 cups flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (this really adds a special flavor) (optional)
Basic drizzle icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cream, more if needed to thin to desired consistency
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon rum extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely grated coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- (Icing may be doubled and used for any cake or bun icing).
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water and set aside until foamy.
- Heat milk, shortening, sugar and salt to melt shortening.
- Cool to warm and add yeast mixture, egg yolks and whole eggs.
- Beat well by hand.
- Gradually beat in by hand 6 cups of flour and the cardamom.
- Knead well on a floured surface only adding additional flour to make a smooth and elastic dough.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, turn to coat with oil and cover and let rise double in volume.
- Punch down and cover dough and refrigerate overnight in large bowl.
- When ready to use, punch down and knead briefly to warm up dough.
- Use dough as you wish for coffee cakes, sweet breads, buns, etc.
- You may divide dough into 6 buns, or 4 equal pieces to make 4 small loaves or braids.
- If braiding, divide each piece into 3 loose strands and braid and tuck under ends.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Place on baking sheets/pans and let rise double in volume.
- Bake in a 350F oven about 30 minutes or golden and tested done.
- Remove from pans/baking sheet to cool on rack.
- Mix icing ingredients and drizzle over warm cake/bread.
- Yield: approx.
- 6 buns, 4 small braids, or 2 large loaves.