Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 hrs
For traditional refried beans, mash well drained beans in hot oil or bacon drippings instead of processing them. This keeps well in the fridge, or freezes wonderfully. Makes a great dip just as is or add a tsp. of hot sauce.
- 2 cups dried pinto beans or 2 cups dried kidney beans or 2 cups dried black beans
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Soak beans for at least 8 hours.
- Add beans, onion, garlic and oil to crockpot and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.
- Drain beans, reserving 1 to 2 cups of liquid.
- Process until desired consistency in food processor, adding liquid as necessary.
- Salt to taste.
Very easy, I forgot the garlic but added garlic powder at the end. Left out the oil too, that one on purpose though lol. Thanks for the recipe, I didn't know how :)
Easy and a great recipe. I didn't soak our beans overnight but did as rest of the directions called for. I also added in alittle bacon grease when processing. I used this recipe in Recipe #122528 and was just perfect. Thanks so much for sharing this basic recipe! :)