Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a simple gazpacho recipe found in How to Cook Anything. Instead of peeling the tomatoes yourself, I'd use about 2 large (24 oz.) cans of diced tomatoes. The time does not include chill time.
- 3 lbs tomatoes, cored peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, peeled, seeded, and roughly shopped
- 2 pickling cucumbers, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 slices day-old white bread, crusts removed (about 4 ounces)
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup good wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper
- crouton (to garnish) (optional)
- Mince some of the tomato, cucumber, and pepper for garnish and set aside.
- Soak the bread in 1 cup water for about 5 minutes, then squeeze out extra water.
- Place the bread in a blender or food processor with the rest of the tomato, pepper, cucumber, and water. garlic, and vinegar. Process until smooth, then slowly add the olive oil while the machine is running.
- Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve. The flavor will improve if left to sit a few hours.
- Before serving, check seasoning. Garnish with the reserved tomato, pepper, and cucumber. Top with croutons if desired.