Recipe by J e l i s a
This is as basic as you can get...hence the title.
Top Review by tiggy1d
I've been looking everywhere for just a very basic pound cake recipe. This one foots the bill perfectly. Very moist and two cakes is a plus. Though I did find it worked best if I greased and floured the pans first before adding the batter, which alot of beginner bakers don't know to do always.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in large bowl, low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl, then at high speed for 5 minutes, scrape occasionally.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with milk on low speed.
- Spread into pan.
- Bake in 2 loaf pans (9x5x3") for approx 55 minutes at 350 degrees.
- (Variation: substitute 1 tsp lemon extract for vanilla and 1 T lemon rind).