Recipe by Eismeer
This is my sister's turn on this delicious dish. It's very simple, but oh so fantastic. This is the basic version, open to alterations, such as adding herbs or cheese(s). Or of course both. Goes together nicely with vegetables of your liking, lamb, steak or as a main with salad. Out of experience this dish turns out best using waxy potatoes. This dish can easily be veganized using 500ml of soy-cream, the difference in taste can hardly be noticed.
- 1 kg potato (waxy)
- 250 ml cream
- 250 ml milk (best whole fat)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- nutmeg (adjust amount to your liking)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel raw potatoes and slice very thinly (mandoline).
- Stack them in an oven proof dish (butter is not necessary, the cream will prevent the potatoes from sticking to the dish) and let them overlap (like tiles on a roof).
- Mix cream and milk together, add garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg (here you could also throw in some rosemary if you like). Be generous with the salt!
- Put gratin into a preheated oven and let bake at 200°C until the surface has browned nicely (about 45 min.).