This is my sister's turn on this delicious dish. It's very simple, but oh so fantastic. This is the basic version, open to alterations, such as adding herbs or cheese(s). Or of course both. Goes together nicely with vegetables of your liking, lamb, steak or as a main with salad. Out of experience this dish turns out best using waxy potatoes. This dish can easily be veganized using 500ml of soy-cream, the difference in taste can hardly be noticed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel raw potatoes and slice very thinly (mandoline).
- 2Stack them in an oven proof dish (butter is not necessary, the cream will prevent the potatoes from sticking to the dish) and let them overlap (like tiles on a roof).
- 3Mix cream and milk together, add garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg (here you could also throw in some rosemary if you like). Be generous with the salt!
- 4Put gratin into a preheated oven and let bake at 200°C until the surface has browned nicely (about 45 min.).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Potatoe Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (1502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1675.2
- Calories from Fat 798
- Total Fat 88.6 g
- Saturated Fat 55.1 g
- Cholesterol 317.2 mg
- Sodium 266.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 194.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.0 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 33.9 g