Recipe by LaLa Lola
This is a Marcelle Bienvenu recipe from the New Orleans Times-Picayune. It makes a wonderful gravy that could be thickened with cornstarch or flour if desired.
Top Review by LuuvBunny
This was just what I was looking for.A simple recipe that gives the roast great texture and flavour.I did not have any beef broth so I used water and it was perfect.This is a keeper,thanks for posting.
- 3 -4 lbs rump roast
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄3 cup beef broth (or water)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Salt& pepper roast.
- Heat ovenproof Dutch oven over high flame about 3 minutes.
- Add olive oil.
- Brown roast well, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove roast.
- Add chopped onions, stir, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pot.
- Add beef broth and stir.
- Return roast to pot.
- Add parsley& bay leaves.
- Put in 325° oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300° and cook for 1 ½ hour until fork tender.