Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so versatile. Use it as a base for focaccia, spinach-cheese toppings, zucchini-cheese and ham. Recipes on toppings on the way.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 lukewarm water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- olive oil
- white cornmeal
- Add yeast to 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Let that stand about 5 min until it starts to get a bubbly appearance.
- In a warmed medium bowl you dissolve the salt in 1 cup lukewarm water and add the dissolved yeast.
- In this, stir in 2 1/2 cup flour.
- Beat it well until you get a soft dough.
- In a large bowl make a well and pour the soft dough into it.
- With your hands, you will work the rest of the flour into the softened dough a little at a time until it is all blended well.
- Work in any dry flour.
- Transfer the dough onto a board.
- Oil the bowl and set it aside.
- Here is where you will knead the dough.
- Make sure your hands are lightly floured so the dough doesn't stick to your hands.
- Make a ball, which you will cover to keep warm with a clean towel to rest.
- You want this to double in size that takes about 45 minute.
- Now, punch the dough down.
- Divide the ball into two halves, placing each in oiled bowls so they don't stick.
- Roll the balls so the oil get around the dough.
- I sometimes put a little on my hands and rub the dough gently.
- It will absorb some of the oil and make a tasty bread.
- Again you want this to rise 1 1/2-2 hours.
- When it is ready.
- Stretch and pull it to fit your 10" pizza pan That has been sprinkled with the white cornmeal.
- Make sure you form a rim around to make a ridge.
- Repeat of course with the second ball of dough.
- Note: For a thicker Sicilian type pizza which is what I like to make one ball will fit a 9x13" pan, top with crushed tomatoes, grated Romano cheese, oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper.
- I also add the mozzarella black olives, sausage, green and red pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Bake at 375°F for 35 to 45 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped at the bottom.
- You will also get a nice coloring the darker the pan you're using.