Recipe by ballarat
This base always turns out great! Makes one 30cm/12in base Preparation time does not include 60 minutes "proving" of the dough. Baking time depends on toppings and type of oven. I usually slip my pizzas onto a baking stone midway through the baking process so as to crisp the underside.
Top Review by AcadiaTwo
My DH and I have been searching for the perfect homemade pizza dough recipe as we just love pizza. This is it! Its easy to make and very flavorful too. I used all purpose flour which I added 1teaspoon vital gluten to each cup of flour, so for this recipe I added 1.5 teaspoons and sifted it with the salt and flour. After the dough proofed I rolled it out on to bakers parchment. The only weird thing is this recipe is just about the dough and nothing else. Its up to you as too how to cook it? I set my oven temp to 400 degrees F and pre-cooked the dough for 10 minutes. Then I removed it from the oven and then I slathered ranch dressing on the pizza, then topped it with sauteed onions, par cooked bell pepper pieces and mozzarella cheese. I then baked the pizza for another 15 minutes. I also had made a second pizza which I topped with spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese and bacon. Both pizzas were excellent! Made for Spring 2014 PAC.
- 1 1⁄2 cups strong white flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup hand-hot water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the flour and salt into a large bowl and stir in the dried yeast and oregano.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture.
- Add the olive oil and gradually add enough of the warm water to make a soft dough. The amount of water will vary according to the flour but the dough must be malleable.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic - about 10 minutes.
- Place dough back in clean lightly oiled bowl and turn it around to coat it with some of the oil; cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm place to "prove".
- After the dough has doubled in size (approx 60 minutes), knock it back and knead again for about 3 minutes.
- Shape and top as desired.