Recipe by kit in NO
It's a simple recipe, flavorful, high in fiber, fairly low in fat, and vegan. It's very popular with my friends both vegetarian and non-vegetarian alike.
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) canof dice green chilies
- 2 -3 tablespoons margarine or 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 minced serrano chilies
- hot sauce
- tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat margarine or oil in a heavy bottomed dutch oven or pot (over medium heat) until hot then add the oregano, cumin and chili powder and heat through to release the flavors.
- Once you can smell them, turn down the heat and add the onion and garlic stirring constantly so the garlic does not burn.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the pinto beans.
- As you are heating the mixture, mash the beans coarsely.
- Add the refried beans, canned chilies, and diced serranos.
- Stir until combined and heat thoroughly.
- Taste and add hot sauce (and salt also if desired) to taste.
- I don't add salt as I serve salted tortilla chips with it.