Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
You can then add whatever other ingredients you like. There are so many versions of fried rice it would be impossible to post them all. So, use this as your basis and add what is used in your area of the country. I personally do NOT like peas or carrots in my fried rice but, I DO like some bean sprouts, onion and meat in mine. Now that I have a rice cooker (WOO HOO!!!!) I'll be having this more often. Source: Chinese Recipes by Stephen Yan 5th Edition
- 6 cups cooked rice, cold
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten with
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon wine
- 2 green onions, stalks chopped fine
- Into a hot wok, add 1 tablespoon of peanut oil.
- When oil is hot, gently pour egg into wok and cook with medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn over to cook the other side of the egg.
- Cook for another 2 minutes and remove from wok to a cutting board and shred egg into slivers.
- Using medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of peanut oil into wok until smoke begins to rise.
- Put in cooked rice, salt, wine, and dark soy sauce, stirring until the rice is hot.
- Add egg slivers, and green onions.
- Stir for another minute and serve hot.
- NOTE: "There are many ways to do fried rice, depending on the kinds of ingredients employed. The specific name is called when a specific kind of ingredient, mostly meat is added to the basic fried rice. Fried rice can be made ahead of time and kept warm in oven. It freezes well in deep freeze too." - Stephen Yan.
wow, now i know how to make fried rice. the peanut oil is the "secret" to this recipe. thank you.
What a wonderful recipe! I had 2 servings and packaged the rest in 2 freezer bags to have on hand when I want more. I made the basic recipe as is and may add to the leftovers when I thaw them. Very tasty and a great side dish made as is. Made for Unrated Asian Tag game.
This was great!! I've always been "scared" to make my own fried rice, but NO MORE!! This was so good and you could add or take away anything you wanted. Thanks for this GREAT basic recipe! Made for the unrated Asian tag game.