1/1 Photo of Basic Omelette
Chef mariajane's Note:
This is a basic omelette recipe that has several variations, Everyone has their own favorite - The proper pan is important to successful omelette making. The right size pan for 1, 2 or 3 egg omelette is about 8-inches in diameter at the base. It should ba shallow with sloping sides to make it easier to slide the omelette onto the plate. Always prepare individual omelettes, rather than one large one , you will find each one will be lighter, fluffier and easier to handle. Multiply the recipe for as many servings as you need and use 1/2 cup of egg mixture for each 2-egg omelette and 3/4 cup for a 3-egg omelette.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat together eggs and water; season with salt and pepperl.
- 2Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter in skillet. Pour in egg mixture. As mixture sets at the edges, with spatula, gently push cooked portions toward the center. Tilt and rotate the pan to allow uncooked egg to flow into the empty spaces.
- 3When egg is almost set on surface but still looks moist, cover one half of the omelette with filling, to taste. Slip spatula under the unfilled side, fold the omelette in half and slide onto a warm plate.
- 5Western Omelette: In 2 tablespoons melted butter, cook 1/4 cup finely chopped ham, 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers, and 1 tablespoons finely chopped onions until vegetables are tender but not browned. Pour into omelette.
- 6Strawberry-Orange Omelette: Replace water in Basic Omelette recipe with orange juice. Cook as directed. Fill with 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries. Sprinkle omelette with icing sugar or garnish with a dollop of whipped cream.
- 7Fine Herb Omelette: To the basic omelette recipe, add 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, 1 teaspoons finely chopped green onion, 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon and 1/8 teaspoons finely chopped garlic. Cook as directed.
- 8SERVING VARIATION:.
- 9Egg Dog: When eggs are almost cooked on top, slide omelette onto plate, Place cheese cubes or strips in a line close to one end, roll up, starting at end with cheese. Place cooked bacon strips and rolled omelette in hotdog bun.
- 10Pita Eggwitch: Place folded omelette inside a pita lined mayonnaise. Stuff tomato slices and lettuce leaves into pita.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Omelette
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.8
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 402.5 mg
- Sodium 244.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 12.6 g