Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Time Life: Cooking of the British Isles. it says in Scotland they are traditionally buttered and served with herring or cheese but may also be spread with honey or jam
- 1 3⁄4 cups regular oatmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 5 -8 teaspoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Half a cup at a time, grate in electric blender 1 cup of the oatmeal.
- Combine that 1 cup of oatmeal, salt and baking power in a bowl.
- Stir in melted butter.
- When butter has been absorbed, stir in hot water, 1 tsp at a time untill you've made a smooth but firm paste.
- Roll mixture into a ball.
- Place on wax paper sprinkled with 1/4 cup remaining oatmeal.
- Roll ball in oatmeal until completely covered.
- Spread another 1/4 cup oatmeal over the table and roll ball flat (to about an 8 inch circle 1/8 in thick) over the oatmeal.
- Cut into 8 pie shaped wedges.
- Place leftover 1/4 cup oatmeal on baking sheet and carefully move wedges onto sheet.
- Bake on middle rack for approx 15 minutes or until light brown.
- Turn off heat and open oven door and leave the baking sheet in for 4-5 minutes, until wedges are firm and crisp.
- Serve immediately.