Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a "basic" beef stew recipe. Please feel free to add your favorite herbs, spices and vegetables to make this recipe "your own". Serve with crusty bread and a tossed green salad for a complete meal.
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 680.38-907.18 g lean stewing beef (cubed round or your preferred cut)
- 29.58-44.37 ml cooking oil
- 828.06 ml beef broth (or 3 cups beef broth plus 1/2 cup dry red wine)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml dried basil, crushed
- 2.46 ml dried thyme, crushed
- 532.32 ml peeled cubed potatoes
- 473.18 ml carrots, sliced thickly
- 236.59 ml sliced celery (optional)
- 473.18 ml sliced green beans (OR 1 1/2 cups peas)
- salt and pepper
- Place flour in a plastic bag, add a few pieces of beef at a time shaking well to coat.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large sauce pan.
- Add meat and onions, brown meat well.
- Add beef broth (and wine if using), garlic, basil and thyme.
- Bring all to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours (or until meat is tender).
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery, cover pot, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes (or until potatoes are almost done).
- Add green beans (or peas) and simmer 10-15 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This stew has a wonderful flavor.We used peas instead of green beans and a Merlot for the wine. It was quite easy to prepare, and we will definitely make it again.
Excellent stew.Even my 'stew-hating' husband loved it.I have been looking for a no tomato stew recipe for years,this one is it.It has wonderful,down home flavor,just like grandma used to make.
Yum! The meat was tender and the gravy was flavorful. Thank you.