1/2 Photos of Basic (No Tomato) Beef Stew
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This is a "basic" beef stew recipe. Please feel free to add your favorite herbs, spices and vegetables to make this recipe "your own". Serve with crusty bread and a tossed green salad for a complete meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 680.38-907.18 g lean stewing beef (cubed round or your preferred cut)
- 29.58-44.37 ml cooking oil
- 828.06 ml beef broth (or 3 cups beef broth plus 1/2 cup dry red wine)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml dried basil, crushed
- 2.46 ml dried thyme, crushed
- 532.32 ml peeled cubed potatoes
- 473.18 ml carrots, sliced thickly
- 236.59 ml sliced celery (optional)
- 473.18 ml sliced green beans (OR 1 1/2 cups peas)
- salt and pepper
- 1Place flour in a plastic bag, add a few pieces of beef at a time shaking well to coat.
- 2Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large sauce pan.
- 3Add meat and onions, brown meat well.
- 4Add beef broth (and wine if using), garlic, basil and thyme.
- 5Bring all to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours (or until meat is tender).
- 6Add potatoes, carrots and celery, cover pot, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes (or until potatoes are almost done).
- 7Add green beans (or peas) and simmer 10-15 minutes more.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic (No Tomato) Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (645 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.0
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 124.3 mg
- Sodium 930.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 41.9 g