Recipe by Dee514
This is a "basic" beef stew recipe. Please feel free to add your favorite herbs, spices and vegetables to make this recipe "your own". Serve with crusty bread and a tossed green salad for a complete meal.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs lean stewing beef (cubed round or your preferred cut)
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth (or 3 cups beef broth plus 1/2 cup dry red wine)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 1⁄4 cups peeled cubed potatoes
- 2 cups carrots, sliced thickly
- 1 cup sliced celery (optional)
- 2 cups sliced green beans (OR 1 1/2 cups peas)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour in a plastic bag, add a few pieces of beef at a time shaking well to coat.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large sauce pan.
- Add meat and onions, brown meat well.
- Add beef broth (and wine if using), garlic, basil and thyme.
- Bring all to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours (or until meat is tender).
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery, cover pot, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes (or until potatoes are almost done).
- Add green beans (or peas) and simmer 10-15 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.