1 hr 5 mins
I have just found this and I've not tried it. I want to next holiday season though so I'm posting it to keep it safe. I'm thinking that the fine grating disc of the food processor *might* do the trick as I don't have a food grinder. Tprep time is a guess. The 20 mins cook time is for canning if you choose not to freeze it. While this says "No Added Sugar" it contains tons of natural sugar in the fruit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups apples, pulp some skins
- 1/2 large lemon, with peel ground
- 1 medium orange, with peel ground
- 1 cup seedless raisin, ground
- 1 cup seedless raisin, whole
- 1 cup currants (or more raisins)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon clove
- 2 tablespoons flour (or 1 tb arrowroot)
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup date sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rum flavoring (optional)
- 1Quarter and core apples, but do not peel.
- 2Grind in old-fashioned meat grinder (food processor makes them too fine), using medium-coarse blade.
- 3Remove seeds from lemon and orange, grind and add to apples.
- 4Grind 1 cup raisins.
- 5Mix all ingredients except rum flavoring in large bowl, stirring in spices and flour, then date sugar if desired.
- 6Add flavoring and mix again.
- 7Place in covered bowl or other container with tight lid; refrigerate at least one week before using or canning.
- 91/2 inch head space, boiling water bath 20 min for pints after water returns to boil, longer for altitudes over 1000 ft.
- 10If any jars fail to seal, freeze for later use. To freeze after refrigerating for the recommended week, place in clean freezer containers or jars, leaving 1/2 inch at top. Cover with clean lids and place in sharp-freeze section of freezer until frozen.
- 11Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
- 12Makes 1 quart, enough for 2 8-inch pies.
- 131/4 cup 116 calories, 2 diabetic fruit exchanges Protein 1, fat 0, carbohydrate 28 grams, 0 cholesterol If salt omitted, 1/4 cup contains 7 mg sodium.
- 14Source: Canning and Preserving without Sugar by Norma M. MacRae, R.D. Third Edition 1993.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic No-Added Sugar Vegetarian Mincemeat
Serving Size: 1 (1018 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1625.3
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 54.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 426.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 39.0 g
- Sugars 320.4 g
- Protein 19.6 g