Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a basic muffin recipe that you can either leave plain or add other favorite ingredients to make them special. They are very easy and fast to make. It is great when you want to make a ton of muffins but want each batch to have a different flavor. I got this recipe from a very old cook book of my moms. she always baked from it and every recipe from it is absolutely yummy. Its called "Quick Breads"
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F Mix milk and egg together well. Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter. Add to milk/egg mixture. Add sugar. Stir until just moistened. Fill greased or paper lined muffin pans 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Makes 10 muffins.
- You may change the basic muffins by adding one (only one) of the variations to the dry ingredients before adding other basic ingredients. Follow rest of the baking instructions as stated above.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup peeled and cored grated apples, 1 cup blueberries (rinsed well and patted dry, if they are canned or frozen), 1 tbs. grated orange OR lemon peel.
Good basic recipe that lends itself to variations. Nice, crunchy texture outside and moist inside. I didn't follow your instructions to only add ONE extra ingredient :) I added dried cranberries instead of raisins and also added the orange zest. I knew I wouldn't get 10 muffins from this so I filled my tins a little fuller and got 6 good-sized muffins. Made for Variety Event.
I made these with 1/4 cup raisins and 1/4 cup walnuts...and I did get 10 small muffins from the mix...they were a tad dry but very tasty...hubby has been enjoying them with coffee...my little grandson loved them...made for Variety is the spice of life 2014 event...
This are a nice, simple basic muffin recipe. I made the blueberry variation and my husband really loved it! I also used those extra large muffin tins and only got 4 muffins. I don't think this would make 10 regular sized muffins, but I could be wrong. The batter tasted very sweet to me, but the finished product was not overly sweet. Made for the Variety Event in the Contest/Events forum.