Recipe by Sackville
This is a recipe for basic muffins. You can make them as is or add any combination of fruit or even cocoa to make chocolate muffins. You could also just try grating in some orange or lemon zest. The possibilities are endless.
Top Review by Mrs. Doyle
I was looking for a basic muffin recipe I could easily convert to gluten-free and this was it! Instead of milk, I used 2 Tbsp buttermilk powder and 1 cup water. It's just a personal preference for buttermilk in my baking and it seems to help gluten-free baking stay more moist. I can't wait to use this as a spring board to exciting combos of fruit and nuts!
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan or in the microwave on low heat.
- Sift, measure and then place the flour in a large bowl.
- Add the baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Beat the egg well in a small bowl.
- Add the milk, vanilla and melted butter and mix thoroughly.
- Put the above wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients.
- Stir just until the flour mixture is moistened.
- Fill greased muffin tins 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400 F or 200 C for 20-25 minutes.
- The muffins should be golden brown in colour and spring back when touched.