Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
This is a great basic muffin batter with several variations listed below. The variations with an asterisk by them are ones that I have personally made and my family enjoyed. I substitute freshly ground whole grain flour for the all-purpose. **PLEASE NOTE**. If you substitute store-bought wheat flour for the all-purpose, you do not need to add the additional amount of flour - just use the same amount as all-purpose.
Top Review by Upsidedown Again
These were delicious. No need for butter or honey since they are perfectly buttery and sweet as is. I added chopped candied lemon peel in with the butter and sugar. I appreciated the directions to fold the milk and flour in. I've never done that before and, no matter how hard I've tried, always gotten muffins with peaks. These turned out perfect.
- 1 (1/2 cup) butter or 1 (1/2 cup) margarine, at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or 2 1⁄2 cups freshly ground soft wheat flour or 2 1⁄2 cups oat flour
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Get out the additional ingredients for the variation you have chosen.
- Heat oven to 375°F; grease 12 regular or 24 mini-muffin cups.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, baking powder and salt until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs.
- Gently stir (fold) flour in alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour until well blended.
- Follow the directions for the variation you've chosen and divide the batter among the muffin cups.
- Bake 17 to 20 minutes for regular size, or 14 to 16 minute for mini muffins, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire rack.
- CHOCOLATE CINNAMON**:.
- Add 1 teaspoons cinnamon to flour in Basic Batter. Stir in 1 cup melted semi- sweet chocolate chips after flour. Divide among muffin cups.
- Cut up 4 ounces light cream cheese and press into batter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar mixed with ½ teaspoons Cinnamon. Bake as above.
- APPLE ALMOND:.
- Crumble 1 can (8 oz.) or 1 roll (7 oz.) almond paste on top of Basic Batter and stir in with 1 cup chopped apple. Divide among muffin cups and top each with 2 thin slices apple (or 1 slice halves for minis).
- Bake as above. Brush tops with 2 tablespoons warmed honey.
- PUMPKIN STRUESEL:**.
- Mix 2/3 cup solid-pack pumpkin, ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons molasses, and 1 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice into Basic Batter. Divide among muffin cups. Top with crumbly mix of 3 tablespoons cold butter, 1/3 cup flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/3 cup chopped pecans. Bake as above.
- CRANBERRY UPSIDE DOWN**:.
- Thoroughly grease muffin cups (do not line). Mix ¾ cup whole-berry cranberry sauce, ¼ cup chopped pecans, 2 tablespoons sugar and ¼ teaspoons nutmeg.
- Divide among muffin cups. Press 1 pecan half into center. Spread Basic Batter gently over cranberries. Bake as above. Cool in pan 15 minutes.
- Mix ¾ cup whole-berry cranberry sauce, ¼ cup chopped pecans, 2 tablespoons sugar and ¾ teaspoons nutmeg into Basic Batter. Bake as above.
- SPICY MINCEMEAT:.
- Stir 1 cup mincemeat and ¼ teaspoons Allspice into Basic Batter. Divide among muffin cups. Bake as above.