Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These basic single serving “Mexican” flavored pies can be topped with your heart’s or diet’s desire. I have used cheese mixed with corn mush (cooked cornmeal and water) with success. Other ideas include corn chips, rice, or potatoes. You could even cook a pie and turn it over a big bed of lettuce with sour cream, cheese, and tomatoes, for a taco salad! You could do this with ground beef or chicken as well, I'm sure.
- 20 ounces extra lean ground turkey
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies or 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces onions, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3⁄4 cup canned chili type beans, drained (kidneys, black beans, pintos)
- 2⁄3 cup canned corn
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- Prepare a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Add garlic and ground turkey. Cook and crumble turkey until about halfway done. Add green pepper and onion and continue cooking until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Add all other ingredients and stir, mixing well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until heated through.
- Divide evenly between 5 mini pie tins and freeze or refrigerate for later.
- To cook: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place thawed pie on a baking sheet or piece of foil (for dripping!) Bake thawed pie for 25 to 30 minutes.