Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 slices bread, crumbled or torn in small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup ketchup or 1 cup barbecue sauce or 1 cup condensed tomato soup
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients together (except the topping) using your hands to mix and combine is the best way.
- Spread the meat mixture into an ungreased loaf pan, 9 X 5 X 3-inches or shape into a loaf in an ungreased baking pan.
- Spoon topping choice onto the loaf and bake, uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until done.
- Drain off the excess fat and allow the loaf to sit about 10 minutes before removing from loaf pan or slicing because it will fall apart.
- Slice loaf into serving sizes and serve on heated platter.
- POTATO-TOPPED MEAT LOAF: For four 1/2-inch slices of meat loaf, prepare some instant mashed potatoes, enough for 4 servings, as directed on the package and set aside. Set the oven control at broil/or 550 degrees F. Broil the slices with the tops 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes. Spread the potatoes on the slices and sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes and serve hot.
- SOUPED-UP MEAT LOAF: For four 1/2-inch slices of meat loaf, mix 1/2 to 1 can of your favorite condensed cream soup, such as cream of mushroom, (10 3/4 oz size) and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk in a skillet. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and place the slices in the skilled, turning to coat all sides with the sauce. Cover and simmer until the meat is hot, 10 to 15 minutes and serve.
I served with ketchup to dip in. This was an excellent tasting meatloaf, especially if you don't like all that sweet sauce on top that so many of the recipes seem to have. Back in the good old days, this was how meatloaf was served, and sometimes basic is better!
Mmmm mmmm good