Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from Paula Deen's show. I entered it for the nutrition information, but it's a great recipe. I substitute cracker crumbs for the oatmeal and it's a little more binding. The diced tomatoes add a nice texture along with moisture. I mix the ingredients by hand to keep it light and bake this on a broiler pan in a loaf shape. It's not as thick and bakes quicker. The grease also drains away from the meatloaf rather than soaking in it.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix all meatloaf ingredients well and place in a baking dish. Shape into a loaf.
- Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf. Bake for 1 hour.