Recipe by breezermom
I didn't really know what to call these....we call them mashed potatoes, but I use an electric mixer, not a potato masher! So I compromised on the name. This is a required side dish for meatloaf, country fried steak, or fried chicken at my house. Anytime someone just needs some comfort food, we seem to have these. They are quick and easy to make, very basic, and totally uncomplicated! I hesitated to post these, because I think everyone makes these. But then I remembered when I first got married, and I didn't even know how to make toast! So I posted it! We normally serve this as posted, but you can add chopped green onions, cheese, garlic, etc if you'd like. You can substitue sour cream for the half and half as well....especially nice if you add some chives.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Breezermom these delicious mashed potatoes did not disappoint. We enjoyed them so much. They were perfect. Made exactly as written wouldn't change a thing. The flavor and texture were spot on. I used the half and half and full salted butter, yummo. What a great meal we had, I served them with Amish Baked Fried Chicken and roasted carrots. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for 5 Star Tag Game.
- 4 lbs idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced 2 inches thick
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup half-and-half, warmed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the potatoes in a large cooking pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer until the potatoes are just tender (20 to 30 minutes).
- Drain water. Reserve 1 cup if you want to substitute the potato water for the half and half to save calories. Mix on low speed of an electric mixer.
- Add the butter after cutting it into several pieces so it melts faster (melt it first if you want to so that the potatoes remain steaming hot). Add the warmed half and half or the 1 cup reserved potato water.
- Mix again with the electric mixer, starting on low and increasing the speed to reach the desired consistency. Add the salt and pepper.