Recipe by Jennigator3
I use this marinara sauce when I'm in a crunch to make dinner when I come home from work in the evenings. You don't need a lot of time to make this and it tastes like it's been simmering all day. It's also a very inexpensive sauce and it can be frozen and saved when made in large batches.
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon sweet basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil on medium-low heat.
- Add chopped onion and saute 5-10 minutes until translucent being careful not to burn.
- Add chopped garlic and saute 2 minutes.
- Add red wine and reduce to half.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve over pasta or with your favorite pasta recipe (i.e. baked ziti, lasagne, stuffed shells, etc.).