Recipe by fitkim
I found this recipe recently in Real Simple magazine. It is soooo good!!!!I changed it a little by using crushed canned tomatoes instead of whole or diced. This is so much better than jar sauce and much cheaper!! This is definately the best I've tasted.
Top Review by KateL
For a quick small amount of marinara sauce (for Recipe #468127), this is the ticket! After 20 minutes of simmering, it was rather thin (like chunks of tomato in a tomato broth), but it reached an acceptable thickness after about an hour of simmering -- it all depends on what you prefer. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag game.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (or chop if you like)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until golden but not browned (be careful not to burn), about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, red pepper, oregano, salt, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer (crushing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon if using whole) until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.