Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
this recipe is by chef sanjeev kapoor posting here for safe keeping one basic recipe for all kinda of makhni delicasies be it butter chicken or paneer makahni wow!!!!
- 12 large sized tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon kashmiri chili powder
- 1 inch piece gingerroot (roughly chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Quarter the tomatoes. Put them in a pressure cooker along with salt, half of the Kashmiri red chilli powder, ginger and two cups of water.
- Pressure cook till two whistles. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Blend the mixture in a blender and strain.
- Heat butter in a pan, add garlic paste, ginger paste and two tablespoons of water. Cook for a minute.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and cook for two to three minutes.Dry roast the kasuri methi in a microwave or on a tawa. Crush.
- Add the remaining Kashmiri red chilli powder to the gravy along with salt, sugar or honey. Stir and cook for a minute. Add the crushed kasuri methi and garam masala powder.
- Mix and cook for a minute.Add cream only if you need to use the gravy immediately.
Haven't tried this yet, but wanted to make a note for when I do. According to this: http://missvickie.com/library/whistling.htm The equivalent timing for a western pressure cooker is to bring to pressure, then time 3 mins per whistle. Will update with my results when I try it :-)