Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is the basic recipe for low-fat muffins. You can make your own changes and substitutions to taste. Milk can be substituted with fruit juice. Nut, raisins or chocolate chips can be added to the batter. Unfortunately, it's impossible to turn into a gluten-free version, sorry!
- 150 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g cornstarch
- 50 g brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 115 ml skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- Turn on the oven to 180°C - 350°F Grease lightly a muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour with cornstarch, baking powder and sugar.
- In another bowl beat egg whites until fluffy, gradually add milk and oil.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour mixture. Do not overbeat the batter.
- At this point you can add any other extra ingredient you like: nuts, raisins, chocolate chips --
- Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 25-30 minutes.
- Do not open the oven for the first 20 minutes. After that time you can check if muffins are ready by insering a toothpick in the center of the muffins. If it comes out clean, they are ready.