Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This provides a satisfying bread quickly and easily. The core recipe comes from Joetta Handrich Schlabach's "Extending the Table: A World Community Cookbook", one of only five out of my collection of cookbooks that I continue to mine for new ideas. It is called "Kentucky Cornbread" there. I took out the salt, and specified nonfat milk.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups cornmeal, i use any of the corn flours sold for making tortillas
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Measure the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir together thoroughly.
- Add the milk, and stir until the dough is moistened and consistent. The dough will still have lumps in it.
- Turn out into the baking pan and level.
- Bake for 1 Hour or to taste.
- Cool on a rack before cutting.
- Stores well in the refrigerator.