Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is for the kugelthon 2010 event in the Jewish/Kosher forum.
- 1⁄2 lb broad egg noodle
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup chopped seedless raisin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Drop noodles in rapidly boiling salted water and cook until tender. Drain in a colander, pouring hot water through to rinse well.
- Beat eggs with sugar, cinnamon and salt and add the noodles. Melt shortening in the baking dish and add to mixture.
- Turn half the mixture into greased baking dish, sprinkle with raisins and nuts, and add remainder. Top with crumbs and bake 45 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Substitute 1 cup thinly sliced tart apples for raisins, or combine equal amounts of each; use chopped greben (cracklings) and chicken or goose fat for shortening; substitute 1 cup finely cut dried prunes for other fruit, with or without nuts. Add lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon grated rind.