Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
A basic recipe for lip gloss with limitless variations. I can find the beet powder in the herb section of the natural foods store. Cook time is cool time. Inspired by recipes from Natural Beauty at Home by Janice Cox.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated beeswax
- 2 teaspoons oil (or any combination as long as the total is about 2 tsp, see directions for suggestions)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon flavored extract (such as peppermint, vanilla, almond, coconut, strawberry, orange, lemon, etc. or a combination such ) (optional) or 1⁄8 teaspoon oil (such as peppermint, vanilla, almond, coconut, strawberry, orange, lemon, etc. or a combination such ) (optional)
- 1⁄8-1 teaspoon powdered beets (if you want a colored lip gloss, add more or less depending on the tint you want) (optional)
- Melt wax and oil together in a double boiler or water bath.
- Remove from heat and add flavoring or beet powder if using.
- Pour into a clean container or pillbox.
- Cool completely until solid - refrigeration will speed up cooling time.
- Apply to your lips with a clean finger or lip brush.
- Suggestions for oil: coconut oil, cocoa butter (grated if you are using solid), almond oil, vitamin E oil, castor oil, lanolin (be conscious of wool allergies), wheat germ oil, jojoba oil, sunflower oil, avocado oil.