A great basic recipe with a multitude variety of ways to take these cookies.You can chill these up to 2 weeks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- 2Stir together flour, baking soda and salt, then add to butter mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- 3Divide dough in half and place each half on a piece of plastic wrap. Shape into a log about 2½ inches in diameter and wrap tightly. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours until firm.
- 4To prepare cookies, preheat oven to 400°F Slice dough thinly and place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Transfer cookies to a baking rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- 5Alternatives: Lemon: Sub lemon extract for vanilla and add 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest.
- 6Cherry: Sub cherry extract for vanilla and add 1/2 cup finely chopped dried cherries or dried craisins.
- 7Nut: Add 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts.
- 8Chocolate: Stir in 2 squares melted semisweet chocolate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Ice Box Cookie With Variations
Serving Size: 1 (915 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.9
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 17.9 mg
- Sodium 74.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 1.1 g