Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a wonderful fresh salad dressing and marinade. The use of the herbs helps the marinade 'cling' to the vegetables making it ideal for grilled veggies. The recipe makes enough marinade or dressing for 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of vegetables. This is another recipe from Andrea Chesman's The Vegetarian Grill, a cookbook I can't recommend highly enough.
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all ingredients except olive oil.
- Slowly add olive oil, whisking constantly, until oil is emulsified.
- May be used immediately or stored in an airtight container in fridge for up to 4 days.
You are right, this is ideal for grilling veggies - I really like the fresh oregano in it. I also like how quick and simple it is, the fresh flavours aren't overpowered by a long list of other ingredients. I used some of this tonight with some eggplant and zucchini although I didn't get to grill outdoors. I plan to use the rest of the marinade for grilling veg on the weekend.
Great stuff! the only change I made was to use dried herbs and added a splash of lemon juice. We had it on our salad for lunch and also dipped some Italian bread in it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.