Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Got this from http://kaukautime.blogspot.com/2011/04/basic-hawaiian-macaroni-salad.html Great simple Hawaiian style mac salad.......
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, very finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup Best Foods Mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar (to taste)
- fresh cracked black pepper
- paprika (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (or more) (optional)
- 1. Prepare macaroni according to instructions on box. Afterwards, rinse with cold water and drain again. Let cool for about 10-15 minutes. The pasta: Cook 1 pound elbow macaroni (for really local Hawaiian style, cook until soft and fat, but you can go al dente if you prefer).
- 2. Add finely chopped Carrot and mix well. Add finely chopped onions and mix well. The flavoring: Stir in ¼ cup very finely grated onion. Not minced, chopped or sliced—grated. It should be liquidy (this is how they do it at Diner’s, a local eatery in Kalihi).
- 3. Combine mayonnaise and milk. mix well, then add to macaroni. Add salt, pepper and paprika to taste. The mayo: At least 2½ cups for real local style. But there are no rules, so use less if you like. Or more.
- 4. Taste test the mayo and milk combo. Add more mayo or milk to suit your tastes. Salt and pepper, to taste. Stir well; refrigerate.
- 5. Chill before serving.