1/1 Photo of Basic Hashbrowns
I was one of those who would rinse shredded potatoes of various kinds, wring them dry in a towel, microwave to partially cook, and finally place in an iron skillet, cooking with a variety of oils, butter, or nonstick spray trying to find the perfect recipe. They were good, but a lot of trouble and still "not quite right". This recipe is very easy and is the yields the best outcome I have experienced. I like either the Yukon or reds, but most any are acceptable. This is the basic recipe, but can be seasoned any way you wish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and shred potatoes and place in bowl.
- 2Rinse with cold water to remove some of the starch and drain.
- 3Place half the butter in a double sided, ceramic skillet and heat.
- 4As the butter begins to simmer, add the shredded potatoes. There is no need to precook nor to wring dry first.
- 5Fry for 4 minutes on medium heat, or until golden brown on the bottom.
- 6Open the skillet and place the remaining butter on top, close, and flip to fry the reverse side.
- 7Fry reverse side for 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 8Salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Hashbrowns
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.4
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 338.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 3.4 g