Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a very basic grilled tofu recipe that begs to be dressed up. You can add your favourite seasonings and serve with a mushroom gravy or a soy based dipping sauce such as teriyaki, barbeque or plum sauce. Don't skip the step of pressing out the excess moisture and use a vegetable grill rack so that the tofu doesn't break apart and drop into the fire. If you wish to marinade the tofu, omit the oi and soy and replace with your favourite marinade. Pour marinade over tofu and allow to lit for 30 minutes, then grill as directed. To make a Teriyaki tofu, omit soy sauce and oil, brush tofu with you favourite Teriyaki Marinade and Dipping Sauce, then grill as directed. This recipe is from Andrea Chesman's The Vegetarian Grill.
- 2 lbs firm tofu or 2 lbs extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- Wrap tofu in clean cotton kitchen towel, place heavy weight on top (such as cutting board weighted with heavy juice can) and set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow excess water to drain from tofu.
- Preheat grill to medium-hot and place lightly oiled vegetable grill rack in place.
- Slice each block of tofu into 1/2 inch slices.
- Combine soy sauce with the oil and brush on tofu.
- Grill tofu until browned and a slight crust forms (about 5 minutes per side) and serve hot with a mushroom gravy or a dipping sauce.