Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I adapted this recipe from THE JOY OF COOKING and have been making it for more years than I care to remember. It's fast and easy.... fast and easy enough to be able to make a 2nd batch in the middle of dinner b/c folks scarfed up the first batch! NOTE: I'm not sure how 1-2 TEAspoons of Worcestershire got changed to 1-2 TABLEspoons.... which is way too much! I've changed the recipe back to 1-2 TEAspoons of Worcestershire.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbells condensed beef broth (flavor of your choice, I usually use beef) or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth (flavor of your choice, I usually use beef) or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed vegetable broth, undiluted (flavor of your choice, I usually use beef)
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (do not use garlic salt... results will be too salty)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper (to taste)
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour til well blended.
- Slowly add broth, whisking continually.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Cook over medicum heat til thickened, stirring from time to time.
- Keep an eye on the saucepan, the thickening process goes quickly.
October 8, 2011. This is a good, easy base gravy recipe. I made as written using beef broth and 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and found that even though it was a nice thick gravy that much Worcestershire sauce was over bearing. The next time I make this I will either omit the Worcestershire sauce or only add about 1 teaspoon. Thanks for posting.
October 10, 2011. I am updating my review of this recipe after finding out that the amount of Worcestershire sauce was wrong. I made this again to go with a beef roast I made for dinner and this is a wonderful gravy and so easy to make, I used the recommended 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce this time and it was perfect. Thanks again.
Great gravy! I made this with beef broth to accompany recipe #92781 and Recipe #294506 and the flavor was fantastic.Thanks for sharing Impera! Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Game,