1/1 Photo of Basic Gravy (W/O Pan Drippings)
I adapted this recipe from THE JOY OF COOKING and have been making it for more years than I care to remember. It's fast and easy.... fast and easy enough to be able to make a 2nd batch in the middle of dinner b/c folks scarfed up the first batch! NOTE: I'm not sure how 1-2 TEAspoons of Worcestershire got changed to 1-2 TABLEspoons.... which is way too much! I've changed the recipe back to 1-2 TEAspoons of Worcestershire.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can campbells condensed beef broth (flavor of your choice, I usually use beef) or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth (flavor of your choice, I usually use beef) or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed vegetable broth, undiluted (flavor of your choice, I usually use beef)
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (do not use garlic salt... results will be too salty)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper (to taste)
- 1Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Whisk in flour til well blended.
- 3Slowly add broth, whisking continually.
- 4Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and pepper.
- 5Cook over medicum heat til thickened, stirring from time to time.
- 6Keep an eye on the saucepan, the thickening process goes quickly.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Gravy (W/O Pan Drippings)
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.6
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 576.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 2.5 g