Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I adapted this recipe from THE JOY OF COOKING and have been making it for more years than I care to remember. It's fast and easy.... fast and easy enough to be able to make a 2nd batch in the middle of dinner b/c folks scarfed up the first batch! NOTE: I'm not sure how 1-2 TEAspoons of Worcestershire got changed to 1-2 TABLEspoons.... which is way too much! I've changed the recipe back to 1-2 TEAspoons of Worcestershire.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbells condensed beef broth (flavor of your choice, I usually use beef) or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth (flavor of your choice, I usually use beef) or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed vegetable broth, undiluted (flavor of your choice, I usually use beef)
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (do not use garlic salt... results will be too salty)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper (to taste)
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour til well blended.
- Slowly add broth, whisking continually.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Cook over medicum heat til thickened, stirring from time to time.
- Keep an eye on the saucepan, the thickening process goes quickly.
October 8, 2011. This is a good, easy base gravy recipe. I made as written using beef broth and 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and found that even though it was a nice thick gravy that much Worcestershire sauce was over bearing. The next time I make this I will either omit the Worcestershire sauce or only add about 1 teaspoon. Thanks for posting.
October 10, 2011. I am updating my review of this recipe after finding out that the amount of Worcestershire sauce was wrong. I made this again to go with a beef roast I made for dinner and this is a wonderful gravy and so easy to make, I used the recommended 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce this time and it was perfect. Thanks again.
Great gravy! I made this with beef broth to accompany Tender and Juicy Chuck Roast and Laughing Cow Mashed Potatoes and the flavor was fantastic.Thanks for sharing Impera! Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Game,