Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole milk
- Position oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 350°; grease the bottom and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans; dust pans with flour.
- Into a bowl, sift cake flour, baking powder, and salt; whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium-high speed until creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Gradually add in the sugar and beat at high speed until light, about 2 minutes.
- Decrease speed to low and add the eggs and egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Beat in the vanilla (if you have a splatter shield, attach it now).
- Add the flour mixture at low speed in three additions, alternating it with the milk in two additions and mixing just until the flour is incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pans, dividing it evenly, and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool the cakes in the pans on wire racks for 15 minutes.
- Invert the layers onto the racks and cool completely.
- Frost as desired.